In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Rumford Area Historical Society

Rumford Area Historical Society Facts

Founded:
The forerunner of the present Rumford Historical Society was formed in 1961 under the sponsorship of teachers Louis Thibodeau and Minerva Anderson, and named The Stephens High School Historical Society. The accession book and the articles collected at that time were presented to the newly formed Rumford Area Historical Society at its organization on March 3, 1970.

Collections:
The Society has a wide collection of cataloged documents. These include photos, newspaper articles, obituaries, birth announcement and microfilm of the Rumford Falls Times Newspaper, beginning in 1794. Some collections are based on the construction, changes and activities of the hydro-generation plant and the subsequent development of the paper-making factories in the area.

Facilities:
The Rumford Area Historical Museum, also known as the Lufkin School museum, opened in 1976. The museum continues to be open in the summer months. It displays local artifacts, photos, books and old tools. The museum also features a country store exhibi; it is open on Saturdays.

The business office, research center, photographs and collections dealing with the history of Rumford are housed in Rumford Town Hall. The rooms are open on Thursdays year round. Staffed by volunteers it is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.